The US Department of State has ordered its consulates to resume granting visas to six countries including Libya after they were listed as banned from obtaining the visas to the US by President Donald Trump’s travel ban.
Reuters reported on Wednesday that the decision came after the state of Hawaii sued to block Trump’s latest travel restrictions, arguing that federal immigration law did not give him the authority to impose them on six of those countries. Hawaii did not challenge entry restrictions relating to North Korea and Venezuela.
U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson in Honolulu said Hawaii was likely to succeed in proving that Trump’s latest travel ban violates federal immigration law, reported Reuters.
The American TV Channel Al-Hurra also reported that the White House in a statement said the ruling was “dangerously flawed” and that it was confident the courts would ultimately uphold Trump’s policy.
Trump slammed a ban, announced last month, targeted people from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea, as well as certain government officials from Venezuela.