UAE proved guilty of airstrikes on civilians in Libya’s eastern city of Derna 

20 November 2017 - 18:36

Derna - Archive - Internet

20 November 2017 - 18:36

Share

The air attack on Derna that killed 20 civilians and wounded over 23 in the city’s district of Al-Fatayeh has been the talk of the country for the last period, with waves of anger and condemnation by local and international parties. 

The New Arab has reported Al-Bunyan Al-Marsous sources on Monday that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was behind the airstrikes on Derna.

The air attack was said to be carried out by unknown warplanes in cooperation with Khalifa Haftar’s militias. 

According to the New Arab, the UAE has started rebuilding Kharouba military base that lies 1300 km to the southeast of Tripoli. 

It also indicated that the UAE is ignoring and violating all the laws of the United Nations Security Council and the United Nations regarding banning arms exports to Libya by backing up a military base in the country and providing military equipment and state-of-the-art-weapons.

Earlier this month following the attack, the security chief of Derna Yehya Usta Omar has confirmed that the airstrikes on Derna were conducted by F16 warplanes, which are owned by Egypt and UAE. 

Usta Omar added in a phone call with Alnabaa TV Channel that seeing the area that was hit by the warplanes proved that the material that was around – like cement similar to B500 bombs - are found only in F16 bombers. 

“Reliable exclusive sources told me that five Egyptian warplanes entered the Libyan airspace some short time before the air attack on Al-Fatayeh in Derna.” He added.

Likewise, the military 
official at the Derna Shura Council has unveiled that the airstrikes on Derna were conducted by Egyptian and United Arab Emirates’ warplanes. The military official told Tuesday the Sabeel Media Agency that the warplanes that had bombed Derna were Rafale and F16 with Mark Mk-82 bombs, each weighing 227 kg.  

All Rights Reserved - Alnabaa 2018